Simulation Physics Engineer
Role: Simulation Physics Engineer
Location: Historic Dockyard, Chatham, UK
At Dovetail Games we are passionate about empowering our people to build beautiful worlds, create breath-taking games and do the best work of their career. We are growing fast, developing our games using cutting edge technology and across multiple platforms.
To help achieve this ambition, we are looking for a Simulation Physics Engineer. They will assist the lead engineer in driving the implementation of vehicle physics most notably in the area of locomotive simulation. The candidate must be able to create efficient mathematical models and physics systems in order to ensure highly accurate and authentic simulation experiences for our players.
Talented graduate candidates will be considered.
- Using visual modelling tools for creating simulations of vehicle powertrains, including electrical, mechanical and air systems as well as embedded control systems.
- Work with vehicle setup team to create the interface between simulation variables and controls or displays in cab. Helps to maintain, improve and optimise the physics system.
- Use of simulation debugging tools to improve stability and accuracy of the vehicle simulation.
- Could evolve to support and develop the current physics engine, implementing cutting edge algorithms and optimisations.
- Innovate mathematically rigorous solutions for simulated vehicles.
- Report to the lead engineer and assist in the planning and estimation of work on their backlog.
- Should be flexible to help out other engineers and vehicle setup team if needed.
- Provide insight to anticipate technical/workflow issues and provide solutions.
What we look for in you:
- Engineering/Science degree
- Excellent math and physics skills
- Understanding the principles of vehicle dynamics in multiple physics domains
- Experience using visual modelling tools (e.g Simulink)
- Great communicator and team player
- A passion to deliver quality simulation software
- Strong research skills and interest in real world vehicle systems
- Software development experience, in particular using C++
- Experience with simulation or physics systems in a game engine; including tools pipeline, performance optimization, behaviour, etc. is beneficial but not required
- Understanding of various numerical integration methods
Why work for us?
- Recently announced in the Sunday Times Tech Track 100
- Winners of the KEiBA 2015 Technology Business of the Year
- Developing games across multiple platforms using cutting edge technology
- 23 days holiday + 8 days statutory holiday
- Excellent work-life balance
- Pension scheme
- Childcare vouchers
- Eye-care vouchers
- Free parking
- Regular social and sporting activities
We are committed to promoting equal opportunities and diversity, and all applicants will be considered on their merit, qualifications, competence and talent regardless of any protected characteristics.