Junior Character Artist
Role: Junior Character Artist
Location: Historic Dockyard, Chatham, UK
At Dovetail Games we are passionate about empowering our people to build beautiful worlds, create breath-taking games and do the best work of their career. We are growing fast, developing our games using cutting edge technology and across multiple platforms, and we have big ambitions to become the Number 1 Simulation Entertainment Company in the World.
To help achieve this ambition, we are looking for a Junior Character Artist to join the Art Team for Dovetail Games Euro Fishing. You will work with the team to create high quality game characters (human and animal) for our current and future simulations and their downloadable content. You should be able to show a strong portfolio of quality 2D and 3D character artwork with a good understanding of asset creation for games. Skills in 3D Studio Max and Adobe Photoshop are essential.
- Creation of high quality game assets using Maya, 3D Studio Max and ZBrush
- Concepting and creating high quality human and non-human characters suitable for our simulation games
- Creating and maintaining Unreal Engine 4 game assets and content using in-house development tools
- Working as part of a team to resolve character design and gameplay issues as they emerge
- Co-ordinate with the Lead Artist to create realistic task estimates and timescales
- Assisting other 3D artists with creation of game assets when required
- Critically review artwork produced for the product at each stage of development
- Iteratively balance and fine tune game play elements.
What we look for in you:
- An understanding and ability to rig and articulate a character, taking into account how topology can influence deformation
- Mesh building with great care taken to reproduce source material / concept but which are light on resources and performance
- Able to create textures using Adobe Photoshop
- Previous experience with ZBrush is beneficial
- Previous experience with Quixel or Substance is beneficial
- An open attitude to critical feedback and understanding and application of the required art direction
- Good time management skills and ability to organise your current workload
- Work with the other team members to ensure realistic simulations are created
- Must be self-motivated, a good communicator and have a positive attitude
- A great knowledge of and passion for games and an excellent understanding of what makes them work
Why work for us?
We are committed to promoting equal opportunities and diversity, and all applicants will be considered on their merit, qualifications, competence and talent regardless of any protected characteristics.
- Excellent work-life balance
- Recently announced in the Sunday Times Tech Track 100
- Winners of the KEiBA 2015 Technology Business of the Year
- Developing games across multiple platforms using cutting edge technology
- 23 days holiday + 8 days statutory holiday, increasing with service
- Pension scheme
- Childcare vouchers
- Eye-care vouchers
- Free parking
- Regular social and sporting activities
Unfortunately, we are currently unable to employ anyone who does not have the legal right to live and work in the UK.