Role: Technical Director
Team: Studio wide
At Dovetail Games we are passionate about empowering our people to build beautiful worlds, create breath-taking games and do the best work of their career. We are growing fast, developing our games using cutting edge technology and across multiple platforms, and we have big ambitions to become the Number 1 Simulation Entertainment Company in the World.
To help achieve this ambition, we are looking for a Technical Director, who will mentor and work closely with the Lead and Senior programmers of the studio’s franchises to help overcome technical issues, drive and support best practices and efficiency across franchises and to set clear technical guidelines and expectations for the studio’s games and services. Reporting into the SVP, Development.
- Responsible for the quality of technical deliverables for all studio titles.
- Responsible for shaping and owning the future technical roadmap and requirements for the studio.
- Coaches and mentors the studio’s Lead programmers.
- Approves technical designs for all high-risk/high-impact systems across the studio’s development teams.
- Embodies and drives the overall engineering culture within the studio.
- Sets and enforces professional software development standards and best practices, across all engineering teams within the studio.
- Works closely with project leads to define the titles’ technical requirements, constraints, risks and opportunities - including all technical architecture and production process choices.
- Co-operates with Dovetail’s leadership team to define and manage change processes.
- Facilitates the sharing of technical knowledge and learnings across the studio’s development teams, looking for opportunities to reuse solutions and efficiency across projects at every opportunity.
- Identifies and manages technical risks, opportunities and productivity improvements from the integration of 1st and 3rd party tools and middleware across the studio’s titles.
- Identifies and manages technical dependencies and risks for the studio.
- Stays abreast of global technology advancements to identify opportunities to progress Dovetail Games at a qualitative and business level.
- Conducts supporting research to help studio development teams deliver their projects’ technologies in a way that maximises title quality and production efficiency.
- Is the external face of Dovetail’s technology – evangelist and champion of the studio’s technologies and its engineering teams.
- Helps define - and actively participates in - recruitment strategies to develop a world class engineering team at Dovetail.
What we look for in you:
- Seen as an experienced expert in game systems programming.
- Experienced in the video game industry on AAA games.
- Advanced experience and knowledge in core engine development, networking, gameplay, and tool development.
- Shipped multiple games as Lead Developer or Lead Programmer.
- Experience with modern commercial games engines such as Unreal Engine 4 or Frostbite industry examples.
- A proven track record in building, managing and growing engineering teams capable of delivering AAA experiences across platforms.
- An appreciation of the roles, responsibilities and challenges across the entire development discipline spectrum requisite to delivering AAA entertainment experiences.
- Intimate knowledge of technical considerations in delivering live services, both for client and server.
- Experience balancing technical, team, product and business requirements with successful outcomes.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent.
- Flexibility to travel between studio locations (Chatham and Stirling).
Why work for us?
- Recently announced in the Sunday Times Tech Track 100
- Winners of the KEiBA 2015 Technology Business of the Year
- Developing games across multiple platforms using cutting edge technology
- 23 days holiday + 8 days statutory holiday
- Excellent work-life balance
- Pension scheme
- Childcare vouchers
- Eye-care vouchers
- Free parking
- Regular social and sporting activities
We are committed to promoting equal opportunities and diversity, and all applicants will be considered on their merit, qualifications, competence and talent regardless of any protected characteristics. However, we are currently unable to employ anyone who does not have the legal right to live and work in the UK.